Fitting In vs Standing Out!

-
When I was in middle school, I wanted to fit in so bad. I was that shy kid that was always looked over in the hallways and in class. I never really was in a group, just merely existed in the background of a hundred plus students. I wanted to be liked by everyone, anyone. I always wondered what was wrong with me. Why couldn't I be that popular chick that everyone wanted to hang around. I guess I did have my "group" they were the shy kids but I always managed to be the shyest in that group too! Everyone just saw me as that quiet little girl that on occasions said a few words.  I remember one day my friend who was outgoing and had many friends told me that some of her friends thought I couldn't talk...like literally couldn't talk at all! That's so crazy to me. I thought about it after a while and I started to pity myself. Is that all people see me as! I never really knew how to fit it at all. I tried to talk like others, dress like others but in the end I was born to stand out!

Being an individual is described as 'peculiar'. Not many people want to feel peculiar. They want to feel normal, just like everybody else. Individuality is a wonderful thing, though, that can only be accomplished by loving yourself.

Once I got in high school, I began to be my own person. When  first got into high school I was still that shy quiet girl that no one really wanted to get to know but I found it important for myself to be an individual. I started dressing the way I wanted, talking(or not talking) the way I wanted, and just being me! Instead of being known as that shy quiet girl, I started to be known as that fashionista, that girl who looked like she walked out of a fashion magazine. People wanted to get to know me for me!

The point I'm making is that you do not need to act or be anyone else but you! No one's better at being you then well...YOU!

4 comments

  1. Yup, I have a memory where a person actually said "You can talk? I didn't know she could talk" and "You been going to this school for three years and I never noticed you". I was shocked. i didn't know I was so invisible. I came out of my shell a little bit now but I never knew I was non-existent in people's eyes a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, That was me in middle and high school! I guess I was always afraid of what people thought of me but now I could care less. I still have my shy side but I dont let that define me. Sometimes you got to embrace that side of you in order to find your true identity :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Please see my blog for details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so very much! Your blog is also amazing!

      Delete