How to Dress like a Celebrity When You Are Petite!

-

How to Dress for Your Height and Stop Looking Like a Kid!

If you don't already know I'm short...like real short 4'11 that is! So, over the years I've come to master the art of looking and appearing taller than my height! However, girls it was struggle as I mentioned in my last post on How to Wear Flare Jeans! If you are 5'4 or below you know the perils of being petite  and shopping in a department store and online! 

That's why I wanted to share with you some tips and tricks for dressing for your petite frame. As stated in my previous post on How to Layer Like Alexa Chung I'll be helping you every saturday dress like other Celebrities while giving you tips that are sure to take your style to the next level. That being said,  I'm completely fashion obsessed with actually two celebrities this week....Victoria Beckham and Nicole Richie. 


Spice Girl lovers everywhere should know Victoria Beckham but she has made a name for herself in the fashion world. Nicole Richie, however, has truly overcame the tragic fashion faux pas of the past and now she looks amazing in her 5 ft frame.  All though Victoria Beckham is more on the taller side of petites, at 5'4, I can't help but find great fashion inspiration from her too. So whether you are short like me and Nicole or taller like Victoria Beckham these tips I compiled, researched, and lived for years are sure to leave you looking like a fashionable celebrity!


Remember Petite Gals can wear anything you just need to pay more attention to proportions and fit.



Your Petite Shopping Guide

Shirts and Blouses

  • Find tops that hit right at the hip bone. Any longer and it can cut you off in an unflattering way. 
  • Tuck long blouses in your pants either fully tucked, front tucked, or side tucked.
  • Make sure the top of your sleeves hit right on the bony part of your shoulder.
  • V-Necks and Scoop necks will make you look taller.


Jeans and Pants

  • Find High-Waisted bottoms that hit right at your waist this especially goes for the short torso ladies!
  • Find pants that are not baggy but structured and fitted.
  • Stray away from detailings on the jeans such as cuffs, pleats, and bulky pockets.
  • Don't be afraid of bootcuts. These lengthen the legs especially when paired with heels.
  • Make sure your skinny jeans do not bunch up at the ankles. This is when measuring your inseam is important when shopping online. 


Skirts 
  • A rule of thumb, with skirts go either really long or really short (classy short though)
  • A-line Skirts and Pencil Skirts looks amazing on short girls.
  • Skirt Hems should either be above the knee or just above the ankle.
  • Avoid calf length and knee length skirts
  • Choose solid colors and avoid thick pleats
Shoes
8 Tips to Looking Taller 
As seen on Victoria Beckham and Nicole Richie

1.Balance Proportions when Wearing Pieces of Clothing 
Always be remindful of finding fitted pieces. If you need to get a tailor...get a tailor! Wearing cropped bottoms? Make sure they hit at the ankle and not above and avoid capri pants at all cost. Capri pants makes your leg just look awkward! Like I mentioned before the seam of your blouse should hit at the bony part of your shoulder and the sleeves hit right at the wrist. proportionate

2.Know how to Wear Monochromatic Outfits
From an all black combo to a bright pastel outfit wearing monochromatic #ootds create a vertical length of perfection. If you are afraid to go full monochromatic try wearing the same shoe color as your pants. Either way it extends the legs making you appear taller and slimmer. Keep the look crisp and tailored when going for bright hues.

3.Don't Underestimate the Flares
I've heard from a couple of girls that say they are too nervous to wear flares! Instead of viewing flares as intimidating, as I stated in my last post, you must understand that these are one of the best pair of jeans to stretch out the legs! Find ones that fit and not baggy. Make sure the flare is distinct, noticeable, and allows pointed toe heels to peep out ever so slightly!

4.High Waisted EVERYTHING 
I can't express this enough but High waisted  pieces instantly give your body a lengthening effect. It tricks the eye into thinking you have a longer torso. If you can't find anything high waisted get out your belts. Create proportions by adding a skinny belt like this belt from Express at your waist when wearing long blouses, dresses, or cardigans. Tuck in blouses when paired with high waisted bottoms or add a crop top.


5.Crop Tops 
Speaking of crop tops, they work for anybody and everybody but especially for petites. They seem to be designed for us as they normally hit at the waist and when paired with highwaisted pants, skirts, and midi skirts they create a nice division between the top part of the body and the lower part.

6.Don't be afraid of the Maxi
There are so many different ways to wear a maxi like this maxi skirt from Topshop. Wear it high waisted, shirt tucked in, nude heels  or heels that match tights and maxi, even boots that match your skirt!

7.Get Vertical Strips
Find tops that have vertical lines. It's the oldest trick in the book but it works!

8.Wear V-Necks
Tops plunging downward gives illusion of a longer and leaner torso!



 9 Best Stores for Petite Clothing

Shop My Favorite Looks from these sites

5 comments

  1. I'm 5'1, so I totally get the petite shopping struggle. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post!
    -Anna
    http://www.fivefootandfabulous.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very helpful! I'm also 4'11" so when I found our blog I was ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tips are really helpful it's so hard to find anything that fits me properly and make me look taller, I'm only 5'1.

    www.OfficialTashika.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I'm petite and finding clothes online can be difficult, I know my tailor well haha! Especially because I love maxi skirts and dresses - always have to get them hemmed first though, if I can't buy in a petite length!

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this. I'm small in both height (5'1) and weight (around 93 lbs.) so I found these tips very helpful.

    - Sherrell
    www.aurevoirplainjane.com

    ReplyDelete