How to Avoid Social Media Burnout!

-

Social Media BurnOut?

Today I wanted to share something more personal and I think everyone will completely relate to in some form or another. It's dealing with Social Media Burnout. Now this type of Burnout is different for all people but for me personally its the comparing and not being unique that Burns me out!

 Whether its dealing with social media, the work place, or life in general. As I'm transitioning my blog to something more like me and who I truly am, I thought this would be an awesome time to talk about what it really means to be truly yourself online and why you'll have more success when you do! Of course for the sake of it I wanted to incorporated some of the Mean Girls Quotes because I'm just that basic but it seriously totally relates, ok! If you haven't seen it...what are you doing with your life! Go watch it now...actually after reading this :)





The Lunch Room Fiasco

Social media has become quite a big thing whether we like it or not! Particularly Bloggers, Youtubers, and Instagrammers (let me know if I'm missing one lol) We are all spaced out into these categories! From beauty, fashion, fitness, foodies, photographers, entrepreneurs, etc. We are all supposed to be one or the other and no in between. It's almost like the scene from mean girls when Cady Heron goes into the lunchroom to be confronted with all of these cliques.

"Now, where you sit in the cafeteria is crucialbecause you got everybody there.
You got your freshmen, ROTC guys, preps, JV jocks, Asian nerds, cool Asians, varsity jocks, unfriendly black hotties, girls who eat their feelings, girls who don't eat anything,
desperate wannabes, burnouts, sexually active band geeks,
the greatest people you will ever meet and the worst.
Beware of The Plastics."

On Wednesday We Wear Pink!

It can be quite overwhelming especially if you are new to the social media scene and you are trying to get your name out there. No matter what "category" you may be in, it's almost impossible to be different in a plastic social media world. Plus anywhere you go, you will always have the Plastics lurking behind you. Saying this is "who you should be", "this is how you'll be successful" and while some tips and tricks are true and may work, I think sometimes we try so hard to be like them, we forget our true self.
"You cant sit with us!"

The Social Media Microwave!

 All you want is to be known for your work and sometimes you tend to forgot why you started in the first place! You started to compare yourself with all of these other people! Like the people who have just started out in social media but are blowing up and you are still reaching just to get someone to look at your blog. Or the ones that have been in the game for many years and you still feel like you are just a beginner because all of these new trends and ideas are being placed in our head all at once. Literally each year, each month, there is a new trend in the blogging, YouTube, or Instagram world! Well for Instagram its a trend happening every 24 hours! You feel like you can't keep up!
There are so many new things being added to social media on a daily basis from "how to be a Pinterest genius in 24 hours" or "how to make money in under a month." Ok these may be a bit exaggerated but you get the idea. Everyone wants things NOW! You forgot the hard work that it takes to get there so we get discouraged and begin to be like everyone else because that's what "works!"

Trend Alert!

I've  seen on Instagram a girl who was getting butt injections(at least that's what I think there called lol). All of these "Instagram models" are looking so much the same and its almost scary. I see young girls and guys putting on makeup (flawless I may add) at such a young age. Although I love make up I just feel like 10-12 year old's should not be that dang good at makeup. Ok maybe that's jealousy but think of a 10 or 12 year old that is watching these videos and feel this is the norm. It's not! This only leads to low self esteem and Barbie look a-likes. I have this thing about false eyelashes.. Like how is it normal to have false lashes on as an everyday makeup look?! Don't get me started on lip injections!  We have to stop letting Social Media take over us and make us something we are not just because its the "norm." Sometimes Social Media can be a big bully, subconsciously.
“Why should Caesar get to stomp around like a giant, while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? What’s so great about Caesar? Hmm? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar. Brutus is just as smart as Caesar. People totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar. And when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody, huh? Because that’s not what Rome is about. We should totally just stab Caesar!”

Social Media Burn Out!

When big influencers get success they sometimes forgot why the heck they even started this whole journey for! They focus on the number, making it to the top, and staying at the top. I see so many Youtubers saying they have to take a break, social media has changed, they want to go back to their old content or social media is simply taking over their lif. Its because they've literally got Social Media Burnout.

Social Media Burn Out is when what you used to enjoy becomes a task...a job that you hate!
This is why I wanted to make this post because I myself have went through a phase of social media burnout! I tried doing things everybody else's way. The only state I'm left in is discouragement and feeling lost. This past year I have been trying to find myself and although I've only been blogging for 3 years I've really have seen a big difference in the blogging and social media world. Some for the better and some not so much.

Social Media Burn out doesn't have to be a bad thing. This is the time you take to reevaluate who you are and energize your passion again!

Tips to Avoid Social Media Burn Out!


Find people like you to interact with.

I have found the most awesome group of girls on Instagram and  Facebook they are genuinely  so sweet! I get them and they get me. We have the same goals in mind. We have the same motivation to be different and not all a-like. We even team up and help each other out. Find those type of people!

If you like something post it!

Stop worrying about what people think. If you want to post something on your social media that's different, heck if you want to change your blog completely around do it. The right people will come along and will love what YOU do! Don't apologize for what you believe in.

Now that's "So fetch"

If you don't like something don't feel obligate to post it!

Take for instance a company sends you something that everyone else has did a review on. They may offer a nice budget. However, if you don't like it don't feel obligated to accept it or review it just for the sake of "its what everyone else is doing" or even because their offering you a ton of money. If you start to accept things that you don't like and posting about it, you are not going to quite like writing or taking pictures of it as much. Same thing goes for writing what you think will get views or engagement.

Support others in their success!

Starting a business I realize how important it is to support others on their success. I've seen this so much in the Facebook communities I'm in. Everyone genuinely wants to help each other, teach each other, and congratulate each other. When I see others who have struggled and are finally making it, I'm happy for them. I think if you stay stuck in a jealousy mindset you will have social media burn out and just want to quit. Support others and watch them support you in every aspect of your journey to succeed!

"You Go Glen Coco"

Don't be afraid to break outside of the norm.

Every successful person has one thing in common they broke outside of the norm and did something different. Sure they may have gotten ideas from other influencers but you know what, they used those same ideas to make something even greater. So if you like something don't be afraid to use it to create something completely new to you and your audience.

Never think you are not doing enough!

This one is a biggie for me because I found myself feeling like I wasn't doing enough. I would stay up late nights just to finish a post, work on editing photos, or figure out how to work on my new website because I felt if I wasn't working extremely hard I wasn't doing anything at all. I had to take a chill pill. Find time to realize that you need time for yourself. Don't be in a rush to do things all at once. One of the main reasons I did the Setting Goals Post was because  I needed to realize what was important and what could be put off in goals setting form.
Remember: Engagement is more important than the amount of likes or views you get on a post  so work on forming lasting relationships with people :)


Have you ever lost your identity in social media?
Or have you handled it like a boss?!

7 comments

  1. So true. Simply put, do YOU. I also spent time automating so I'm not going crazy with trying to "catch up" on certain platforms. If I'm meant to see it, eventually, I will stumble upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post Jasmine as always, always informative and helpful
    www.mssparkleandglow.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading and heck it's a crazy social media world. I try to stay focused in my own lane. Erm, false lashes everyday, I'm guilty hahaha. Great post. Truly great post.

    http://fashionablyidu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make great points and offer fantastic advice! I think supporting each other in our social media circles is key to motivation!

    Beth || www.TheStyleBouquet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think the biggest keys are just finding your tribe, loving them, and always doing your own thing! Put on the blinders, support others, and make your own dream happen.

    Coming Up Roses

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful words. And really helpful too. I always feel like on the verge of burning out.

    ReplyDelete