How to Strategically Grow Your Instagram Account!

-
Are you  sick of that follow/ unfollow trend going on right now? Stuck in rut on Instagram and don't know how to move forward. If you are posting to crickets I may have what you need to get you out that rut. I wanted to share my secrets to getting more followers and engagement on Instagram. Btw I created a New video for this yayyy!!!

How to get more followers on instagram the right way. Getting engagement and followers on instagram can seem pretty hard now days. That's why it's important to focus on the right audience. Here are 5 ways you can get more followers and engagement on Instagram!

Create Relevant Content

Creating relevant content goes along the same line as branding. Really, Instagram is just another extension of the branding phase. So if you already have a blog then your Instagram should have the same purpose and content as your blog. Create what your target audience is going to want most. If they love to see graphics with quotes then do more of that! If they love seeing mini videos on your IG then do it! Post things that will target people that you want to be in your community.


  1. Make sure you have a purpose for each post.
  2. Make it relevant to your targeted audience include a caption that is informative, helpful, motivational, etc.
  3. Don't try to appeal to everyone...that's too much energy being spent in the wrong direction.

Engage with Audience

If you want people to engage with you, you must make the first move. Be the icebreaker! Create Calls to Action that make people stay on your page longer. Don't forget to respond back! This keeps people engaged especially if you keep the convo going somehow. Take at least 10 minutes to respond back and leave genuine comments on their page too!

Examples of CTA's

  • Telling them to click the link in the bio to take them to something in particular.
  • Tell them to tag a friend (only if it's relevant to the caption and IG Post)
  • Tell them to answer a question in the comment section.

Build Community

In order to build a community, you need to actually find people! So go searching around to find people that are engaging on other peoples feed. Like their stuff, comment genially, and follow back if you really like their page. Travel down your own IG feed and like and comment on people you are already following too!

Give back and surprise your followers

  1. Do contest and giveaways
  2. Do collabs with others in your Niche
  3. Share their post with your audience

Use Hashtags

The best way to find people that will love your stuff is by searching and using hashtags! Go on to a popular hashtag that is mostly in the 1,000s and 100,000s to like and comment on photos you love. Don''t forget to follow people you really like. PLEASE DON'T DO THAT FOLLOW/UNFOLLOW THING...it's not cute! Doing that shows that you aren't loyal and makes people not trust you. When creating your caption use all 30 hashtags. We don't have a lot of time to capture people's attention so by putting the hashtags directly in your caption you'll get to people quicker. Keep a list of hashtag relevant to certain post in your phone. I have hashtags for different types of pictures I post to cater to different people in  my niche.

Determine the Best Times to Post 

You don't want to be posting to crickets so find the right times and you are go to go! I use Prime to manage my times on all of my Instagram Accounts. In order to cater to the following that you already have find the best times to post and get them to engage with you and your post!  The best way to do that without apps or a paid subscription is by posting at different times of the day to see how many engage at certain times! It's all about trial and error!


In the Comments: What has helped you create more IG Followers and Engagement? What other videos would you like to see!


What to Read Next for Instagram Success

I created this blog post in PDF form so you can always have it on hand!
Click here!

27 comments

  1. This was such an informative post! I immediately posted on Instagram using your tips for an upcoming trip to Paris. Hoping to engage my audience a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very informative!!! about to go watch the video
    www.mssparkleandglow.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tips! I am currently experimenting with posting at different times - it's all about experimentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever tips! Will be using some of these for my blogging very soon! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to do all of these but I'm definitely behind on the timing front. Thanks for reinforcing that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you nailed the tips girl!! Thanks so much for sharing!
    xx, Lo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for these great tips! I agree that the CTA's are crucial. Most people forget to do that, but it's so important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips here! I need to work on responding to people more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to have more genuine followers on Instagram, thank you for your tips! I'm definitely going to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips Jasmine! Engagement and relevant content plays a big part in blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The whole follow unfollow thing gets me terribly mad we don't have to step on people to aid our success! These are very useful tips thank you!!

    Sophie
    www.sophobsessed.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I have definitely done the follow/unfollow thing before, but the problem is that when you unfollow, they typically unfollow you too and you are back to zero. I like to engage more anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this was so full of information. I loved the ones on every post having a purpose and not trying to appeal to everyone

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like that you are talking about being genuine here! We should stay on message and be true to our passions. What I love about Instagram (and blogging) is how it can connect people who really love the same things or are interested in learning about other people's passions or style or adventures. I think engaging with followers is so fulfilling, and I agree that the follow/un-follow thing is "not cute," as you put it! Genuinely caring is so much better! xo, Lindsay | Paris, Meet Boston | www.parismeetboston.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So informative! Thank you so much for posting this. You had some amazing tips and your blog looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! I'm having a hard time figuring out my prime time it's so random nowadays. Really enjoyed this helpful post :)
    https://makeupwithmona.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  17. great advice - really trying to grow my instagram account - this was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes to all of these! Hashtags are crucial.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My goal (which I'm not starting until next month) is to up my instagram game. I haven't heard of Prime before, I will look into it. How would you say it compares to Tailwind's Instagram scheduling?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kimberly @ Berly's KitchenFebruary 11, 2017 at 12:52 PM

    Thanks for these tips! Instagram and Facebook are the weak spots for my blog. They definitely need help.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really want my Instagram account to become a resource for blog traffic, but I haven't seen a lot of Instagram training/tips- thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing these tips girl! I try to use CTA's, but I had never thought about the fact that each post has to have a purpose and give something that people want...that's a great way to look at it! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to start using your tips. I really enjoyed watching the video. I will be Pinning this post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's amazing how you've grown your following. So I'm gonna follow these steps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are all great tips! Using hashtags helps so much!

    xx,
    Amanda || www.fortheloveofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, and I totally agree about the whole follow/unfollow thing. I hate that! Great tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great tips! I'm going to do a giveaway once every month I think whether it will be on twitter, my blog or Instagram they really do create a great audience! I've never thought about checking times before

    Tasha x

    http://itsatashathing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete